It is common knowledge that women’s fertility decreases as they grow older, but there are other lifestyle choices & external factors which affect pregnancy even during the most fertile years. However, many women wanting to increase choices of getting pregnant do not know as to what are the things they could do or watch out for in order to achieve their goal. The following factors are invariably found to cause infertility in women who are trying to conceive.
- Obesity – Extra pounds typically affect production of hormones & therefore make it more difficult for women to get pregnant. Decrease in ovarian function is experienced by women in proportion to the amount of weight they gain above healthy weight. Moreover, obese women at 18 years of age are also likely to develop polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) & have problems with fertility as well. PCOS is a common disorder of hormone & is a leading cause of infertility in women.
- Being Too Thin – This can also impact infertility in women. This is because women with very low BMI are deficient in leptin. Leptin is a hormone which controls hunger & satiety & having low quantity contributes to absence of normal menstrual periods. Maintaining healthy weight therefore in fact increases chances of a woman getting pregnant.
- Age Factor – Women stop ovulating when they reach menopause which is usually between 40 – 50 years of age. Moreover, even a decade prior to the exact time of menopause infertility in women is commonly experienced as ovulation becomes less frequent & egg count usually declines. This particular time is known as perimenpause. Doctors agree that it becomes increasingly difficult for women to normally experience pregnancy after 35 years of age. Therefore it is most ideal for women to seek infertility treatment in case they are having trouble conceiving.
- Smoking – Apart from hurting a developing fetus, smoking also drastically affects a woman’s chance of conceiving in the first place. Almost 13 percent of all infertility in women is found among women who smoke. Cigarette smoking disrupts production of hormones & damages DNA in both men & women including women who either smoke moderately or are exposed to secondhand smoke. Endocrine functions among such persons are largely disrupted & therefore cause infertility in women.
- Alcohol – Doctors usually caution women against drinking heavily & which is usually more than one drink per day that is linked to increased risk of ovulation disorders. Research suggests that women who drink heavily are more likely to seek infertility treatments. Moreover, consumption of alcohol during early stage of pregnancy or even before conception is linked to premature births. It is therefore best for women wanting to give birth to babies as to not to indulge with alcohol at all.
- Caffeine – Caffeine is found to be interfering with muscle contractions which help eggs travel through the fallopian tube from ovaries to the womb. Studies revealed that women consuming five or more cups of coffee everyday can reduce successful in-vitro fertilization chances by 50 percent.
- Household Chemicals – Exposure to pesticides, pollutants & industrial compounds including household chemicals will decrease ability of couple’s to have babies by almost 29 percent.
- Thyroid Disease – Disorders of thyroid are found to contribute to problems of ovulation & pregnancy. This is why it is sensible for women having trouble conceiving to test for over or underactive thyroid gland.
- Extreme Exercise – While working out can help women keep slim, strong & full of energy, overdoing or extreme exercise can have a negative impact on ovulation. Studies suggest that normal-weight women exercising vigorously for more than 5 hours every week had difficult time conceiving. Most obvious negative sign of over exercising is noticing change in menstrual cycle which may in cases become lighter or shorter.
- Medical Conditions – Health issues like uterine fibroids, endometriosis & polycystic ovary syndrome affect chances of women getting pregnant or successfully completing a pregnancy term. Autoimmune disorders like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis in women can also cause trouble conceiving as the immune system may reject the male sperm or fertilized egg. However, working with a medical team has seen many women overcome such problems.
- Sexual Health History – Sexually transmitted diseases like gonorrhea & Chlamydia are found to cause pelvic inflammatory disease which in turn may cause infertility in women. Chlamydia can also damage the fallopian tubes without displaying any other symptoms & most women may not even know that they have the disease until they find it difficult to get pregnant. However, vaginal infections such as yeast infections do not have any affect or require infertility treatments.
Affordable In Vitro Fertilization in India
This is a great opportunity for women from all around the world to seek infertility treatments like in vitro fertilization in India at affordable costs. While cost of healthcare is invariably rising across continents, with infertility treatments being no exception, cost of in vitro fertilization in India is in fact just a fraction in comparison to prices at other medical tourism destinations. Moreover, quality of infertility treatments in India is at par with the best in the world & has consistently provided high percentage of successful outcomes.